Monday, September 14, 2009

How Cell Phones are Changing the World

Think back to when you were a kid and the only thing you knew about your landline phone was how to dial the handful of numbers you had memorized and needed only on certain occasions. Now a days it is considered a taboo to not own a cell phone and a crisis if you do not have it on you. Instead of simply memorizing a few numbers you now have hundreds of them stored in your phone. To add to that some phones play music, take pictures, and even gain access to the internet. The modern day cell phone has more memory and far more advanced technology than a computer from the 90's. This is a blessing in most regards but is it possible we are becoming too dependent on our cell phones? How did we manage before these mobile sources of wonder exist?

5 comments:

  1. Okay, so I am planning to invest in a new cell phone - and I'm thinking I want an iphone, but maybe a blackberry would do just as well - or a palm pre - any suggestions? I want to be able to travel without my computer and still have email and a small amount of web activity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As for the new-age cell phone, what in the world will cell phones be like in a decade from now? It's scary to me how fast technology is changing. I think about when I was in elementary school and we got the internet, and what a big deal it was! I laugh when I think about sitting and waiting listening to that awful dial tone. Now I just open my laptop and I'm connected to the internet with no chords! Much less, my PHONE is connected to the internet. Scary...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This weekend I had a new insight into the change in our society made possible by cell phones. Driving to the Baylor game Saturday evening, we came upon a car that had just landed upside down in a ditch. Two teenagers were in the bar ditch, apparently unharmed. As we slowed to ask if they needed help, they barely noticed us. Each was deep in conversation with someone on a cell phone call, oblivious to those who had stopped to help. I don't fault them for immediately calling family/friends/whomever they could reach, but I was struck by the fact that people who were actually on site and would have given assistance in the pre-cell phone days were quite unnecessary.Obviously, if the victims had been injured, that would have been a different matter. There would have been more than we wanted to do in the way of giving aid. But, still, it was a little unnerving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find it interesting how the world is adapting and wonder how it will be in the future. Is it possible we become to reliant on technology and lose a part of our basic nature?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can we as people manage to balance our more basic aspects of humanity with the roar of technology swooping into our lives? Will we maybe forget about that side of ourselves?

    ReplyDelete